Saturday, February 5, 2011

Color Me Cultured - Because style is optional, but culture is essential

Bruce Oldfield – Distinct Style at its Best

I was watching/listening to Good Morning America earlier this week (which has become a weekday necessity for me as I get ready for work) and their sometimes overly obsessive coverage of the royal wedding. Now, I’m not one to really care about the happenings of royal affairs, but I do remember as a young woman who was growing into a love of style, my fascination with Princess Diana. I can vividly recall being totally enthralled every time I saw her on TV. She was like the Jackie O of England – always pomp, ever graceful, and forever just freaking fresh.

Anyway back to me and the news….so whilst applying my makeup, I overheard the upcoming story revolving around the infamous wedding dress to be worn by Kate Middleton, Princess in waiting. Note-to self, Princess Diana was always on-point and from what I’ve heard and seen on the news, Kate Middleton definitely has noteworthy style…Kim, you might want to watch this story. La-dee-dah, putting on makeup and the news comes back on, which was my queue to step away from the bathroom mirror and get in front of the TV.

To my surprise, there sat this captivating black man with a distinguished British accent speaking on style and fashion and I’m thinking, who is this Bruce Oldfield guy and why is he not in my style radar? One of Princess Diana’s favorite designers, Bruce Oldfield was rumored to be the designer of choice of Kate’s dress. He denied all speculations, not to mention Kate prefers that the designer’s identity be kept a secret.

Check out this dapper debonnaire at www.bruceoldfield.com

Well Mr. Oldfield, if you‘ve dressed past and present style icons such as Joan Collins, Sienna Miller and Rihanna, shame on Kate for not choosing you to design the wedding dress of the century. But who am I? If style were a lifespan, I would be thirty-something, no longer desiring to follow the trends and fads of the masses, but slowly constructing my own distinct and flair.

Vintage Style sewing pattern - Designed by Bruce Oldfield.

I don’t have much time to detail Bruce Oldfield’s work or accomplishments, but believe me when I tell you, this man has style and he definitely has my attention.

Bruce Oldfield, designer with Dress of the Year 1985

OAN1: Don't forget, the clutch giveaway ends today at 8:00 pm central time
OAN2: I'm planning a trunk show in the Memphis area this Saturday
OAN3: Check me out at www.URchocolateboutique.com

Goodbye for now, Beautiful People,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment