Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I am S.U.E. Who are You?





It’s unfortunate that we as a culture take our queues from main stream America on how our lives should be patterned.  Which is why, I believe, we as young women in the south have found it difficult to identify our niche in the broad empire of fashion.  Not many have touted the sense of style that can be found in here in my great city. Most would rather look elsewhere, to larger, maybe more chic cities, to inspire them.
 
Well that’s fine with me, but I’d like to think that my personal style was bred, nurtured and matured mainly in the city of Memphis; from women like my Aunt Joyce who I’m sure has the most extensive collection of antique jewelry of anyone I know.  Or maybe from Mother Bradley at my home church of New Nonconnah Missionary Baptist Church, who could rock the mess out of mink stole on a cold Sunday Morning.  I would be insane to not mention my mom, who is a little more plain when it comes to clothes, but so grounded in her appreciation of African culture.  

I need not look far, deep or wide to know where my love of all things stylish was birthed.  And I wave my southern flag proud.  Yea, I may draw a little inspiration here and there from New York or I may see a celebrity on tv rock something I like, but let’s not get it twisted, I am stylish because I have chosen to seek out , at a very young age, the color, lines, shapes and tones of my surroundings.  So to all my southern belles, searching to find your place in the vast land of fashion and style, Urban Chocolate is here to help, but you've got to help yourself first by knowing who you are and finding refuge in the many variables that come together to make you, you.

Heads Up… I’ll be running a contest asking you to define your personal style.  Details coming soon, so be sure to follow the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment