Monday, July 25, 2011

The Weekend!!!

What, a weekend!


Friday Night
• Youth choir rehearsal, which by the way was my last one, so bittersweet. Oh, for those who didn’t know, I was the music coordinator for the youth choir at New Nonconnah Missionary Baptist Church. I informed them it was my last rehearsal. I sure will miss my babies, they have made me sooooo freakin proud and when I tell you that these young people rock, I’m gonna need for you to believe it.

* I tell people all the time that I love fashion and styling, it has always been and will always be my passion. But, I cannot and refuse to live this life as a do-nothing Christian…it’s already too many of those walking around, who profess the love of Christ, but live their lives uplifting self. I absolutely love working with young people, they inspire more than any fashion designer or the baddest pair of Gucci shoes known to man. So I may have come full circle with the New Nonconnah Missionary Baptist Church W.O.W. Choir (Worship Our Way), but my work with young people is far from over!

Later Friday Night
• Missed movie night at Paragon Souls of Art, but did make it for the discussion afterwards. I always enjoy lively discussions with others who are passionate about wanting to see a change in local culture. If you haven’t made it out to Paragon Souls of Art yet, what’s the hold-up? I understand you may not know what it is, well just ask me. Too many of us want to wait until something is popular or well-known before we decide to support, which is why too many of us end up being followers our whole life….but, I digress.

Saturday Morning
• Dropped off some jewelry to a young lady who’s hosting a natural hair competition in August. She had a photoshoot with the contestants and asked some of the vendors who’ll be setting up at the event to lend a few pieces. I’m down for free publicity! Plus, this girl supports local to no ends. I’m sure I’ll be blogging about the competition soon, so stay tuned.
Saturday Afternoon
• Shopped for a shirt for the Love Nu Art Anniversary Party and found the perfect blouse at the thrift store. Honestly, I could spend hours in one thrift store. A few days before I bought a pair of pants from a young lady I met at a natural hair care expo. She’s from Memphis but studying fashion design in New York. These harem pants ya’ll…smh.
• Shopped for some fabric for a necklace design…didn’t know the specifics of how I wanted it, but I had a vision in mind. It was between ethnic prints or primary colors. I opted for the latter.


Saturday Night
• I was kid free ( my daughter was at a sleepover), so that gave me more time to work on the necklace.

Sunday Morning
• Church! The Youth Ministry surprised me with a gift basket made by one of the church members. It was filled just for me too… a reusable tote and matching note set that something about being fabulous, a couple of candles-one was lavender- a favorite scent, a decorative letter K for my desk, a butterscotch colored Pashmina, and a few other things that escape me right now. That was like a whoa moment for me.





Sunday Aternoon
• After church I was soooo tired; had to feed my daughter and niece, who’s in town for the week. Laid them down for a nap and then a nap for myself before I finished the necklace. I was so tired ya’ll, I fell out the bed, I guess during what seemed real, but I it was a dream…true story. I mean, I have not fallen out of the bed in my adult life, or at least that I can recall. Anyway, there was something very peculiar about the dream that made me think it was foretelling of something. I’m one who believes dreams are meaningful, so I researched it a bit and was NOT surprised at all by what I found.
• Finished the necklace, after I couldn’t sleep and ended up making some bow shoe clips to match…on a roll, ya’ll!


Sunday Night


Made it to the Love Nu Art Magazine Anniversary Celebration with a close friend – we missed most of the acts, but enjoyed the networking. Ending up spotting three ladies rockin Urban Chocolate earrings, OMG- I died, as celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe often says.



The complete look: Harem pants by a local upcoming fashion designer. Handcrafted necklace, shoe clips and some Urban Chocolate fabric wrapped bracelets. Vintage clutch and necklace turned bracelet courtesy of mom's closet, vintage blouse and retro earrings. By the way, I carry tons of vintage and retro pieces in the Style Spot!


• Left there and headed to another event Downtown. Got there late, but enjoyed it as well. Marvin Winans, Jr., whom I kept calling Mario Winans, was the special guest and headliner. We were late but still got good seats. Matter of fact, when he finished his set, he sat right beside me to eat his meal and I died all over again, except this time I had to contain my dying. He did let me take a few pics, so I died yet once again. Yea ladies, he's married :(




Round Midnight


• My girl and I were tired and a little famished so we headed to Kooky Canuck, you know the place that makes those monster burgers. I heard about it but never visited. I just got some fries with ranch dressing and to date, they have the best ranch dressing I’ve ever tasted in my life. We split a cookie and ice cream dessert that was just as delicious and worth going back for. Next time I go, I’ll take mini me and I’ll try that veggie burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment