Thursday, August 4, 2011

People you Should Know

I've found recently that I've become quite fond of hearing the stories of people who are doing things and going places. You know these women...the every time you look up they're always doing something or on a mission to accomplish something, type women. Please allow me to introduce you to a couple of those I've had the pleasure of meeting.


Jocelin -I Make Really Well-Constructed Harem Pants- Williams

So ya'll know I love clothes, right? Here's the thing though, I'm not that big on shopping. Strange, huh? Recently I was set up at an event that was so busy there wasn't even time to come up for air. But oh how blessed I was to have a second to breathe and here walks pass me this young lady wearing the most awesome pair of harem pants in the world. I have wanted a pair of pants like that since I spotted them in a Vogue magazine the latter part of last year. But since I'm not big on shopping, I'm sure I would have had to drive all around the city just to find them in my size.

But guess what? This young lady was about the same size as I, so I HAD to have these pants. Asked her where she got them from and guess what????? This chick made those very pants that I've wanted since last year!!! Yep, got her number and called her the very next day. Found out she's in Memphis for the summer (living walking distance away from me- that's how I know it was meant for me to have those pants), but going to school for fashion design in Brooklyn. Like, OMG, who does that? Well, Miss Jocelin does. Ya'll know I prayed so hard before I tried on those pants...like Dear God, please let these pants fit me or else I will have to go on a diet and I don't do diets well, Amen. God has answered my every prayer and pittied my every groan so I knew He wouldn't fail me now...sure enough he didn't. I straight rocked those harems to the Love Nu Art Anniversary Party (see pic and older post below).

I wish I had turned to the front so you could see the shape on these bad boys.
Maybe I'll wear them tomorrow ni
ght.

Whew, didn't think that story would be that long, got a little excited typing bout those pants. Jocelin is leaving to go back to Brooklyn next week, but I would like for you to meet and invest in her future, this Saturday at my spot. If you're reading this, you know the details. She'll bring a few pieces she's been working on and share with us her passion for what she does.


Lauren - Master of all things Beauty - Scales
I'm going to make this one shorter, I promise. I met this beauty in 2009. Gregory with Gregory Lynn Photography suggested her when we met about the details for my website's photoshoot. She did the makeup for three of the models on the opening page of the site www.URchocolateboutique.com. She had this real Philly, Brooklyn type vibe about her. You know how when you meet some people, you kind of sense they're not from around here. Well she is a Memphian! I later that day found out she really makes her money as a manicurist. Really, Lauren? You did all this jazz on these girl's faces and you make money doing nails?

I don't get my nails done much, because making jewelry can be rough on my hands. But when it's time, I call Lauren. I don't feel like she's rushing to get through, we have a good, clean conversation, she's culturally intelligent and I don't have to worry about hearing girls cussing and using all types of profanities while they sit next to me, talking on the phone all loud and telling their babies to sit down...whew, I digress. Check out her site at www.graffitinailbar.com

Lauren is also a beast with making jewelry plus she paints. She'll bring some of her pieces that you may want to purchase.


Hope you can make it, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment